Monday, November 23, 2009

Nude Descending a Staircase No. 2


This painting is "Nude Descending a Staircase No. 2" by Marcel Duchamp. He was part of the Dadaist era and was part of the Armory Show in New York back in the early 1900's. I love the multitude of colors in this painting, and most people would be confused as what the stuff is behind the figure at the front, almost down the stairs. In fact, that is a time lapse of the nude walking down the stairway. My favorite part about this painting is how you can see the "hip" throughout the stairwell, but the rest is a bit fuzzy. Also, the idea of the mechanical motion of the nude, with it's harsh edges and sharp points, coming down the stairs, when it's flesh toned to show human flesh is just creative.

I actually recreated this painting on a hamper for my High School's art auction. But, alas, my piece is now sitting in my room at home. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment