Thursday, November 26, 2009

"The Music Lesson" by Johannes Vermeer



The image I chose for tonight is "The Music Lesson" by Vermeer. I have a personal connection with this painting, since I took piano lessons for many years, and the setup looks similar to how my teacher's studio is set up. This painting triggers a sense of nostalgia in me, bringing me back to those days when my piano teacher would yell at me for not practicing enough, even though I had practiced for hours on end. Even though the instrument the girl is playing is not technically a piano, I still feel a deep connection to this image. I can almost feel the intimidation the girl must be feeling with her teacher standing over her shoulder. I know - because I experienced it too.

1 comment:

  1. This piece is pretty beautiful, David. And yes, I was brought back to the hard time one gets when taking piano lessons too! :)
    The great mix of light and shadows as well as the yellows are remarkable too. If one looks quickly, he/she may have the impression that the floor is coreved in scores! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete