Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Starry Night over the Rhone


This is another of my favorite paintings. Even though it is not a famous painting it is clearly recognizable to the public as the work of Vincent Van Gogh. Obviously not as famous as his "The Starry Night" which was painted in Saint. Rémy. This one is from Arles, just down the street from his yellow house. I really like a lot of Vincent's night scenes, he seems to capture the air. I can feel the breeze on my face and I get a glimpse of the wonder that he felt when he painted. Vincent is in my mind one of the most intriguing artists because he clearly loved to paint, he had to paint. While many artists try to impress us one way or another, Vincent just painted what he loved, and that was the act of being alive.

Another reason I like this one is because everybody knows "The Starry Night" but this one is far less known and so I feel as though it belongs to me. My own personal treasure.

Thanks Vincent.

1 comment:

  1. I love this painting too! I get lost in the so many hues with which he painted his nights. Everything is so bursting with diversity, and yet intertwined as if in an eternal embrace with each other... it really seems the night fell in love with itself through his eyes and brush strokes. It's like the universe being created right in front my eyes. Sometimes, saying something about a painting or a song is so troublesome that it feels no matter what I said was too little in magnitude than what I saw and felt. But you put it so well.

    ReplyDelete