Monday, December 7, 2009

Number 6!

The painting I chose today is the Arnolfini Wedding Portrait by Jan Van Eyck. This painting has a LOT of symbolism in it, and to shove that much info into one picture is quite impressive. This was one of the few paintings I could actually remember in Art History in high school/college (I'm usually horrible with dates and the like...and remembering them..). Such symbolism is: The chandelier has one candle lit, and it's supposed to be God watching them; the shoes are off in the lower left, symbolizing they're standing on holy ground, etc.

But I love the use of the complimentary colors as well (In her dress and the bed). It really makes your eye move around the picture. Also I like that the artist used the mirror in the background to prove he was the "witness" for this marriage, followed by his signature above the mirror. It's a great history piece, as well as a good art piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment